Why do I need a marketing plan?
A marketing plan helps you promote products and services in your business that meet the needs of your target market. It requires research, time and commitment, but is a very valuable process that can greatly contribute to your business success.
Writing and researching for your marketing plan gives you the chance to:
- Identify your target market and understand how your product or service meets their needs.
- Identify your competitors and what your target customers think about your competitors' strengths and weaknesses.
- Position your brand, products and services so that your target market sees your business as better than, or different from, the competition.
- Set specific, measurable goals and time frames for your marketing activities.
- Map out a strategy to reach your target audience, including the messages, channels and tools you will use.
The NSW Government's Business Department has a great online marketing plan template and guide to give you a clear process to follow as you develop your marketing plan. It helps you identify who your customers are, how you'll meet their needs and how you'll differentiate yourself from the competition.
Access the guide here: https://www.business.gov.au/Planning/Business-plans/How-to-write-your-marketing-plan